Hotel La Tour de Nesle La Rochelle Vieux Port
Covered market OF LA ROCHELLE
Are you looking for a place where you can taste all the variety of products from the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region? This market is for you!
Located in the heart of the Old Town, this covered market, the first to sell meat in the city, was built between 1834 and 1836, and to this day it is still impossible not to be attracted by the different smells and flavors and the welcoming atmosphere! Start walking around the stalls to have a look at the products available. The fish stalls, the colors and brightness of the seasonal fruits, the original shapes of the vegetables that stand out on the stalls… As you walk around, ideas for lunch and dinner begin to take shape in your mind.
On Wednesdays and Saturdays, the stalls stretch from Les Halles to the surrounding streets. Go and meet the fruits and vegetables vendors and market gardeners, whose colorful stalls offer excellent fresh fruits in the summer. At the fishmongers’ stalls you will find seafood and mussels to prepare the “Charentaise mouclade” with shallots, garlic cloves, herbs, spices, eggs, cream and, above all, Pineau des Charentes! After a tasting from the cheese stalls, go to the wine shops where you will discover Cognac, Pineau, vins de pays, liqueurs… a prestigious range of local products!
Top 5 la rochelle activities
La Rochelle is a beautiful city full of places and activities not to be missed. To facilitate your stay in La Rochelle, we present you our TOP 5 activities to do during a week-end in the city.
1. Discover the Aquarium of La Rochelle, dive into the depths of the ocean!
2. The Towers of La Rochelle, they are the 3 most important monuments of the city. Visiting them will allow you to admire a magnificent panorama.
3. Stroll in the historical district to understand the spirit of this maritime city!
4. Go to the city Halles to taste our regional specialties that will enchant your taste buds.
5. Sail away to discover the coast and especially the beautiful surrounding islands!